Your Presbytery Link
Presbytery Stated Gathering
Location: Mt. Auburn Presbyterian Church
Your Presbytery Link is a summary of what occurs at Presbytery meetings. It is posted on the website within days of each meeting.
The meeting began with a call to worship, signaling that all we do is “worshipful work.” After the new vice moderator, Rev. Carol Ferguson (pastor, Crescent Springs) and new moderator, Mr. Bill Bogdan (elder, Mt. Auburn) were elected and installed, Bill Bogdan read from Isaiah 58:9-12, and preached a sermon entitled “20/20 Vision.”
The presbytery and its various committees conducted business which included these actions and activities:
- Renewed or approved changes in calls and ministry assignments:
- Thomas Dunlap, interim pastor at Trinity
- Roberta Bella to pastor in shared ministry at Pleasant Run and Northwest Community
- Timothy McQuade as interim head of staff at Sycamore
- Hailey Malcolm as interim pastor @ Montgomery
- Elder Norine Behm as CRE at Cherry Fork
- Authorized ministers from outside the presbytery to serve here:
- Garth Adams (Miami Valley Presbytery) as pulpit supply at Carmel
- Terry Washburn (UMC) as interim pastor at Hillsboro
- Appointed a moderator for the Montgomery church.
- Received the final report of the Interim General Presbyter search committee which announced the appointment of Ruling Elder Lisa Allgood (Covenant First) as Transitional Executive Pastor.
- Adopted an anonymous communications policy.
- Amended the presbytery bylaws to increase the size of the Committee on Ministry and decrease the Personnel Committee.
- Approved an increase of the required minimum compensation for full-time pastors to $44,345 and a recommended 3% increase in compensation for all pastors.
- Approved the presbytery budget for 2020, with a decrease in per capita from $35 per member to $33.
- Elected as commissioners to the 224th General Assembly in Baltimore (June 2020):
- Shawn Barkley (pastor, Crestview)
- Elder Bill Bogdan (Mt. Washington)
- Margaret Heidenreich (Covenant First) Youth Advisory Delegate
- Elder Darlene Nored (West Cincinnati)
- Kris Moore (interim pastor, Calvin)
- Elected new members to various committees of the presbytery:
Committee on Ministry, Trustees, Permanent Judicial Commission, Personnel, Preparation for Ministry, Network Resource, Congregational Renewal and Vitality, and Presbytery Council. Rev. Adam Fronczek (pastor, Knox) was elected chair of Council.
The presbytery also received a number of reports, including:
- One Hopeful Fund (mission) grants awarded to:
- Nicholas Yoda (pastor, Pleasant Ridge) to attend a meeting in Taiwan of the Japan Mission Network;
- TEAMWorks, and after-school intervention program in Pleasant Ridge
- Third Presbyterian Church’s daily food program.
- A matching grant for reduction of gun violence program being hosted by Rev. Ed Goode (pastor, Christ UCC) with activist Shane Claiborne
- The launch of the presbytery’s new U.C. campus ministry, UKirk
- The work of the Synod of the Covenant from the presbytery’s synod commissioners
- A presentation by Elder Joe Oberbeyer, CRE at Bdechan pronounced (“bu-DAY-shan) Presbyterian Church, which ministers to Native Americans in North Dakota and where members of Westwood First went for a mission trip.
The presbytery paused in its work to share in table fellowship with a meal of homemade soups, salad, bread and dessert, provided by the host congregation, Mt. Auburn Presbyterian Church.
Following the meal, the meeting concluded with worship which included an offering taken for mission co-workers David Cortes and Josey Saez (Caribbean), the reading of the names of those ruling elders and ministers who joined the Church Triumphant in the past year, and the celebration of the Lord’s Supper, led by Rev. Carol Ferguson, Elder Faye Burdick (Mt. Auburn) and Rev. Stacey Midge (Mt. Auburn).